Monday, September 8

Lessons of confrontation-Taiwanese style

"There will plenty of people, places and things that you won't like in your life, and you have to confront them. There is no other way out. You can't hide. This is about you, what you can do to change the situation, rather than how your boss could change, because she has reached an age where it is impossible to change."

I'm still trying to find the delicate balance between expressing too much discontent or too little of it. I was never a great at confrontation; rather, I'd usually resort to quietly backing away in anger, sense of injustice, skepticism or pure fear. I used to run away from what I don't like and never look back, but I now I'm gradually escaping impulsively but returning to the mess made due to the impulsive act.

Trial and error was never in my book. It was always act only when I'm certain that something will work as predicted, or at least if there's a 99% chance that it would. I'm trying to dispel that mentality these days. Falling and making mistakes now and then is not that bad, because then I can try to mend it.

I was surprised by how calm the confrontation with the boss was this morning. I just sat there and listened to her yap away about growing up, how hard I've worked so far, how much pressure she has and how great of a boss she is. LOL. Her snapping at me in front of the press was totally condoned as she justified her lost temper so eloquently with her pressure and my mistakes.

I gave her props for not throwing a telephone at me during this conversation, as she has done before with others. I also learned that she really can't listen. So the status quo will remain until I figure out my next step. Until then, I'm just going to plan my anniversary celebration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home